Ioana’s story of her trip to America is coming to a close but you can read all about her experiences from the entries below. We are currently in the final process of purchasing a Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) bike for Ioana so that she can continue her therapy and exercise program in Arad, Romania. You can read the details about she will use the bike here.
You can help fund Ioana’s FES bike and her journey toward independence and living with a disability in Romania!
Your tax deductible donation in the form of a check can be made out to Global Hope with medical written in the memo line. Please include a separate note indicating that your gift is for Ioana and the FES bike.
Donations can be mailed to:
Global Hope, Inc.
PO Box 1052
Broomfield, CO 80038-1052
Below are some facts about the FES bike Ioana will be using.
- Life span of the ergometer (bicycle portion) is about ten years
- It will come with a Windows 7 system with a 10″ screen.
- Product has been in existence since 2005
- Free software upgrades
- Any software issues that occur can be handled with remote assistance via Skype
- There is an employee devoted to international patients
- Her PIN will be downloaded into the bike GH purchases so it will already have her information
- The Children’s Hospital here in America can look at her files at any time
- During setup or anytime that Ioana has questions, Restorative Therapies can actually change settings to the device remotely
- Ioana will receive a weekly graph showing her total miles traveled, power output, speed, etc to see if she is progressing, regressing, etc
- There will be a clinician who is available for clinical questions while Ioana is in Romania
Ioana came to the House of Hope, Global Hope’s first children’s home, in September of 2004. She was born with Cerebral Palsy and had secondary scoliosis. Her scoliosis became severe enough that in October of 2008 she went to Vienna, Austria for surgery to straighten her spine. She had two rods and twenty-two screws placed in her back.
Ironically, Ioana walked more easily before her back was straight. She used to use the momentum and flexibility in her spine to swing her leg forward to propel herself. While the surgery was absolutely critical for her and successful, it changed the way she walked. She now uses a walker to walk whereas before she didn’t need to.
In fall of 2009, Global Hope attempted to bring Ioana to the United States for intensive physical therapy to help her strengthen her lower extremities. Through a process of nine months she went to interview in spring of 2010 at the US Embassy in Bucharest, Romania for a visa to come to the United States short term. But her visa was denied and she missed out on the opportunity for therapy.
Three years later, Ioana and three other Romanians affiliated with the Global Hope children’s homes were granted tourist visas for a three week visit to Colorado. God works in mysterious ways and Ioana was able to visit with the doctor who had agreed to see her years earlier. As a door was opened Global Hope made a way for Ioana to remain in Colorado to receive physical therapy until April of 2013. Subsequently she will also work hard to learn English so that she can take that skill back with her to Romania.
We’re excited to see what God has in store for all of us in this incredible journey that began so many years ago. The blog entries below capture her experience during her visit to America. They are told by a member of her host family, Matt Gibble.
News About Ioana
- 04/17/2013 Time for Ioana to go home…or maybe not just yet.
- 03/23/2013 The Path to Discernment – Part 4
- 03/23/2013 The Path to Discernment – Part 3
- 03/21/2013 The Path to Discernment – Part 2
- 03/20/2013 The Path to Discernment – Part 1
- 03/20/2013 New Braces and More Dental Work
- 03/09/2013 Ioana Shines!
- 02/21/2013 Shine! An Opportunity for Ioana to do Just That!
- 02/08/2013 Birthday Girl!
- 02/01/2013 Ioana Makes Up Her Mind
- 01/23/2013 Learning How to Make Big Decisions
- 01/23/2013 A Few of Her Favorite Things
- 01/12/2013 Catching up with Ioana
- 12/27/2012 Christmas in America
- 12/18/2012 Love Prevails
- 12/15/2012 Ioana’s Ugliest Gift
- 12/13/2012 Ioana and Community Outreach
- 12/11/2012 Incorporating American and Romanian Traditions
- 12/07/2012 Therapy at Children’s Hospital Main Campus
- 12/02/2012 Renovations for Ioana in our Home
- 12/01/2012 Feeling Better and Trying to Find a Groove
- 11/28/2012 Ioana’s Most Challenging Day Yet
- 11/27/2012 The Beginning of Ioana’s Story
- 11/25/2012 Ioana is in Colorado!